I sometimes get asked my recommendations or opinion on baby items, so as Miller passes his half birthday, I thought it was the perfect time to compile my list of must haves for the first 6 months! I will also break my list into two parts for the true must haves and then things that just really make life a little easier! Leave a comment if any of these are on your must-have list too! (I am not listing the obvious necessities likes crib and/or bassinet, carseat, stroller... let me know if you'd like a separate post about my favorite brands for those items!)
1. Swaddles (my personal favorite is the Ollie World swaddle, but its a little pricey and these are great too!) Swaddling is a really easy way to help your baby sleep in the first few weeks/months. It really does make a huge difference! This is another great option- my babies just preferred a super tight swaddle.
2. Pacifiers: I loved wubbanubs when Miller was small because they didn't tumble straight to the floor every time it fell from his mouth. They're also great in the car because the animal part just sits on their tummy so that the pacy is right by their mouth. I love the natursutten pacifiers because they are all natural rubber, but Miller never took to them.
3. Ring Sling: I swear by Sakura Bloom slings. I love the variety of color and fabric choices and they also have amazing customer service!
4. Swing/Bouncer: Miller wasn't ever super content in a swing, but its important to have a safe place to put them down in order to at least shower, cook, eat, etc. Depending on your price range, the 4moms mamaroo and rockaroo are great choices (Miller preferred the rockaroo!), but to be honest most babies are just as happy or even more so with a simple swing like this one. (this is a great item to look for at garage sales!!)
6. Breast-pump: Even if you're planning to breastfeed exclusively, you will really need at least a hand pump to ease engorgement in the early days (trust me). This electric pump is amazing (and quiet!)
7. Nursing necessities: nipples pads-I used these this time around and loved them! nursing bra- to be honest I never found any I absolutely loved but these are nice for sleeping and I have heard great things about this brand. Nursing tanks/shirts/dresses- here are a few options: asos has a lot of super cute maternity and nursing clothes! I have this dress and it is so flattering! This is a great tank.
1. Dockatot: This little positioning pillow has blown up on social media recently and for good reason! I specifically loved it as a safe place for Miller to sleep in our bed. I kept it in between me and Justin in our bed and I was able to keep him right next to me where I could neurotically check his breathing any time I wanted without having to get up and look in the bassinet or having the fear of Justin rolling over on him or a blanket getting pulled up over him in the night. It also aided in transitioning him to his crib since he was already used to sleeping in it (their website says they aren't for use in cribs, but I think thats just for liability reasons)
2. Bassinet: We had this super cute moses basket (I loved that the basket itself was portable) We also have a rock n play which was great for extra fussy nights when he wanted the rocking motion all. night. long. Thanks technology!
3. Carry cot: I actually didn't end up getting one :'( but I always wished I had! This is one of my favorites.
4. Knotted gowns: These are super convenient to keep baby in at home during the first few weeks of endless diaper changes!
It is very possible that I am forgetting things, but I will edit this post as I remember! I went ahead and included several nursing related items, but let me know if you'd like a more in-depth post that includes postpartum must haves!